Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Springing Forward & 365

Well, daylight savings time 2010 has arrived, although I think I'm a little spring-lagged. Normally the time change doesn't affect me, but I was tired going into this one. It's weird...I can't go to sleep at night because my mind is telling me, "it's only 10 pm," when now it's actually 11. Then in the morning, I can't get up because my mind is telling me, "it's only 6 am," when it's actually 7 and I've got to get up for work!! Strange how our mind tricks us. Anyway, I always welcome daylight savings time because that means for more daylight in the evenings for walking and just being able to be outside.

Last night dad and I were driving steel pipe posts for our corral fencing. Before we knew it it was dusky dark, thinking it was around 6:30 and it was after 8! Wew, time flies when you're having fun. I hadn't even been in the house yet from being home from work and it was after 8. But, we got all the post drove so dad could go back today and get them all perfectly level and the same height. We got a couple of them a tad bid off the straight line, but dad said, "In 100 years it won't bother me." That got me to thinking, "who will own our family farm in 100 years? Will it be my children's children and their children; pending I ever have children?" Pondering thought!

The little black dots have slowed down a little. For the first couple weeks in March a steady stream of the little calves were arriving. We are now up to 12 calves with 10 heifers yet to calve. They are so cute. They are getting big enough now that they venture off from their mommas and buck across the field....so cute.

Even though the heifers behind the house have slowed down, the older mammas in the back have kicked in. I think we've had 4 calves in the back pasture just this week. So there are little black dots everywhere on the Collins Ridge Farm. That's one of the things I love about spring; the new baby calves! It never gets old, I don't care how old I am. Love it, love it!

On a totally different note, today marks the real countdown....in 365 days is the 2011 Mediterranean Journey to Italy & Spain!!!!!!!! Yahoo!! I'm not at all excited, can't you tell? haha. That's 365 days to mentally prepare...365 days to physically prepare...and 365 days to healthily lose XXX number of pounds. We'll see.

Happy almost Spring everyone. Have a great day.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment