Monday, June 8, 2009

Amazed by Power!

I am in awe over many things. For example: the stars and planets, changing seasons, life, and the different weather; thunderstorms for instance, simply because I think God is so awesome!

Thunder storms freak me out most of the time, yet I love to watch them. I love to watch a storm front roll in and all that goes with it. I have always wanted to go to Kansas on one of those Tornado Chaser expeditions. I figure it'll only take seeing one/chasing one one time to cure me of that desire! I have also always had the desire to see lightning strike; not just in the distance because I have seen much of that, but to see it the moment it hits what ever it hits and see the bottom of the bolt. CRAZY, I know, because it is deadly!!! Well, let me just say I am cured of this desire and I didn't even go out looking for it.

Let me set the stage: Beautiful sunny day, breezy, and thunder rolling in the distance.

OK..It's Sunday afternoon (6/7/09) and church has just dismissed. We go outside and thunder is rolling in the distance. I tell my mom, since my dad is out of town, that I better get to their house and put the garage door up for Tucker. She agrees since she has to take the church van and I'll get there sooner. Tucker is my sister's Lab, who by the way is terrified of storms and will only go in my mom and dad's garage. He literally trembles and circles the house until that door goes up. Anyway, I get to my mom and dad's and Tucker is ready to go in the garage. My mom gets there, the door goes us, and Tucker is safe; the storm is miles away. My mom and I were to put the panels up around the tomatoes (YUMMY) in the garden after church so I needed to go to my house and change from my church attire. As I was arriving at my house I could see the rain in the distance. Side note: I just love watching and hearing rain come in. We live kind of high up and in open spaces so I can see and hear the rain coming from a distance...LOVE IT. Ok, so I'm at home; putting windows down, changing clothes, and grabbing some food items to take to my moms for lunch. The rain came and went; seconds of those big rain drops. But there was a lot of lightning and thunder associated with this front. Everything looked to be over and done with so I'm all ready to head back down the road. I've got my car keys, Diet Mtn. Dew, and back of lunch items in one hand pushing the screen door open and pulling the door shut with the other hand. About the time I got the doors open I dropped something out of my hand and had reach down and pick it up. Got everything back in my hands and ready to shut the door and head out. About the time I was pulling my door to I looked across my yard in the direction of my mom and dad's place and my sister's. In the line of this view, about 25 feet in front of my porch, is a walnut tree. Are you ready for this??? I sure the heck wasn't. So, about the time I looked toward my mom and dad's house lightning struck! It was a huge bolt of lightning and I knew it was close. So close I didn't even hear thunder, just this incredible jolting smack..which we know thunder is the sound of lightning. I was looking to see if I could see where it stuck and as soon as it did so leaves began to fall from my tree, bark was in the yard, and I felt as though I was riding in a muscle car that had just taken off fast from a stop light...you know, threw me back in my seat! I immediately knew what had happened and I was stunned. I ran back in my house and just screamed and was like, "Oh sweet mother of Moses that was close!!!" I kept saying, "Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus!" I couldn't believe what I had just been a witness of. It was amazing, yet so very scary!! Power is magnificent.

I was in a hurry so I could get back and help my mom. I was frustrated because I was dropping things out of my hands as I was closing the door to leave. I am so very thankful that I dropped that stuff out of my hands, otherwise I would have been off my porch and on the ground about 15 feet from where the lightning struck.

God is so amazing and I am so very thankful He was looking out for me yesterday!

Until next time . . .

1 comment:

  1. Love the new background!!! You could not have picked a better picture. Have a day woth blogging about.

    ReplyDelete