Monday, February 22, 2010

Got a surprise!

Hello again Monday and blogger friends!

Well, over the weekend I received quite a surprise...and was too startled to get my camera! I was going outside Saturday to burn trash and take out the garbage. I noticed my trash can was slightly off it's blocks so I needed to adjust it to keep it from falling over. You see, there are silly heifers behind the house and they like to push around my trash can! Silly cows! Side note - what's funny is where I'm burning trash and the calves curiously come up to the trash can, w/burning trash inside, and put their noses to it! They quickly snort and back off! Anyway...back on track now. So I'm leaning over the barb-wire fence to pull the barrel back on the blocks. Normally I would never lean over the fence; I would just throw the trash in and light her up. I leaned slightly to scoot the barrel and I saw something in the bottom of the barrel that wasn't quite right...so, I carefully leaned a little further. Much to my surprise and being completely startled, there were two HUGE opossums curled up in the bottom of the barrel!!! Like to have scared me to death. Wish I would have had dad's .22, but I didn't. I had to resort to the only other thing I had to get those gross creatures out of there. So, got me a 2x4 (no I didn't hit them with it), turned the barrel over on its side and proceeded to beat the barrel like a drum; all the while I was hollaring and screaming at them! Well, you know the more noise you make the more they play possum!!! Finally, several barbwire-to-arm cuts later they were out and scurrying off to find shelter! Completely disgusting those nasty creatures are. I'm just glad I happened to look in the barrel before filling it with trash and striking the match. I can't imagine the noise they would have made let alone the smell. But, it was quite an exciting few minutes on my Saturday.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment