Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Days you think about, but never want to get here :(

This is a bit of a somber posting today as I sit and reflect on memories.  When you're a little girl and you hear of older people going into nursing homes you never think your grandparents as old. Therefore, you never think they'll have to go.  Well, the time has come.  I have one grandparent still here with me; my dad's mother - my Grandma Bertha who is 90 years young.

A little history:  My mom's mother (Hazel) passed away 5/6/88 when I was nine, dad's father (Leemon) passed 12/19/94 when I was 15, and mom's father passed 9/8/95 (Lue) when I was 16.  Goodness, seems like forever ago.  I still remember the last time I saw each of them before they went home to live with Jesus forever.  Shortly before Gma Hazel passed she took me to the back of the house by myself and gave me a little blue porcelain elephant; still have it and treasure it to this day.  She made me a new dress or two for every occasion as well as birthday cakes.  And boy could she make the pies.  Her pie crust was so good it would make you slap your momma!  Gpa Leemon was a man like no other; kind, whitty, always smiling.  Hmm, maybe that's where I get the smilies :)  I still look back and am very thankful mom and dad let me 'skip' school to spend time with him during his last days.  He was in the hospital 60 something days before he left us.  So thankful.  Oh, and Gpa Lue . . . what a corker!  He accepted the Lord when I was a little girl.  Still remember going to his baptism at the creek.  I remember being so happy that he accepted Jesus.  He would visit us frequently to go to 'singins' at various churches.  I usually went along with him.  I'll never forget how he greeted me EVERY TIME he saw me . . . his first words were, "Watcha been up to Puddin Head?"  Oh, the memories.

Bertha Collins - on her 90th birthday (2010)
All this brings me to my Gma Bertha.  She's the grandma you never thought would be old.  Her memory has failed her a lot over the last several months.  She's still pretty sharp though at some things!  You can't get much past her.  One thing that has always remained true is her love for the Lord.  She tells everyone she sees that the only way she's lived alone since Gpa Leemon passed is because the Lord has been with her.  She has said everyday of her life and every time I've been in her presence, "boy my nose itches!"  I even recorded her saying that...so if you're ever around me when I get a text message you'll hear her saying that :)

my granny and me on her 90th birthday (2010)

 Effective last week the Dr ordered her to not be home by herself anymore.  With most of the kids living in Dora the only option had to be put into practice; nursing home.  She came home with my parents last week and spent much of the week with them as her room was prepped.  Thus, I got to spend my evenings with my granny :)  She even got to go to church with us on two Sundays.  That was special :)  So this past week Gma has gotten to go check the cows, attend church, pray with us, laugh with us, help us put the pool up (she was the foreman - lol), and ride the four wheeler!  All memories that will forever be tucked in our hearts.
my granny just before her 90th birthday (2010)
she and my grandpa always kept he prettiest yard and flowers :)

Now she has started a new chapter and we must start this chapter with her.  She moved to the nursing home Monday, June 20, 2011.  What a hard day.  What makes this new stage in life a little easier is knowing that she will be well cared for.  But, I have to admit it's a little weird for me to think she's there and not sitting in her house where she has always been during my 32 years of life.  So yes, I'm a bit sad :(  I'm sad that even though she's still with us we'll probably never again have family gatherings at the house I grew up knowing was my grandparents'.  I'm sad that she has to be in a place she's not familiar with; even though it's the best thing for her.  I'm sad that she doesn't understand why she can't go home.  But, I'm happy that she still knows, despite the fact that her memory is failing, her loving Lord! 

Over the last few months as my family has been going through things concerning my grandma there have been certain things come into better perspective.  As long as we're here on this earth our family and friends need to know how much we care about them.  So, if I've been a little more emotional or dramatic (as my mother puts it) lately now you know why.  My friends reading this . . . I hope you know just how much I cherish our friendship.  It's those friendships that get us through this life and help make times like this a little easier.

I'm going to wrap it up by saying this . . . during your prayer time please remember my grandma as she transitions and learns to live this new lifestyle.

Thanks friends!

Until next time . . .

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I did not know this, Lindsay! I am so sorry. I always liked going over to her house and sing & visit with her with the teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, she went in Monday afternoon. We know it's the best thing, but it's so sad and hard on her because she doesn't understand why she can't go home :( She's at the same nursing home where we always go to sing so the teens will still get to visit with her :)

    ReplyDelete