Thursday, June 30, 2011

I'm a Lightning Bug . . . metaphorically speaking!

I spend a lot of time porch-sitting; especially this time of year.  I enjoy listening to the creatures around me; i.e. whippoorwills, owls, crickets, cicadas, deer, and the list goes on.  I catch myself in these moments with my eyes transfixed on the sky.  The night sky is so fully of twinkles.  Once I'm fixed with my eyes on the heavens I find myself getting into conversations with God.  I enjoy conversing with Him :)  Of course my porch sitting would not be complete without my pup!  Jasper is usually close by; either chewing on my arm, laying up next to me or stretched out in the yard waiting for me to go inside so he can high-tail it to mom and dad's!

As most of us know this is the season of the lightning bugs.  I get so excited seeing the first signs of twinkles usually in March.  I love watching them dance around and seeing their different 'blinks'.  They are night time nature paparazzi!  Now, I don't know the purpose of lightning bugs other than to give us a pretty show in the spring/summer night skies.  I have always heard they blink to find a mate.  Each twinkle is different.  Some are steady paced, some are really fast, others have a slow and constant twinkle; all unique.  Just like people. 

In April and May the skies are usually filled the twinkles.  They are all scrounging around to find their mate I guess.  Needless to say their options are plentiful.  On about this time of year (late June) the twinkles become less and less.  You'll still see solo twinkles here and there. 

Ok, so how is this a metaphor?  And how am I like a lightning bug?  Well, remember a paragraph or two above we talked about them twinkling to find a mate, lots of options, now they're solo.  As I was doing some porch sitting the other night I found myself feeling like that lone lightning bug twinkling out there and not another lightning bug was around reciprocating their twinkle; they are single!  Not that that's a bad thing.  It just struck me as funny.  While all the others have gone off and gotten married and now have children, I'm still out there patiently waiting for that other lightning bug to reciprocate my twinkle. 

So, I'm that twinkle you see who's still out there when all the others are gone for a season.  I'm waiting on another twinkle in the distance.  I just go on twinkling and living my life.  If not this year, there's always lightning bug season next year! 

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment