Friday, April 3, 2009

LPA Highlights Days 4-5

*Note* I uploaded the pictures small to get them all on the blog. To see them in more detail click on the picture and they should open to a full screen. Happy viewing*

Good morning fellow bloggers. I had a few moments this morning so I thought I'd get started on talking about Days 4 & 5 in exciting Paris, France. Obviously I am not documenting every single thing as that would take a very long time. I kept a journal of my trip and I think each day took about 7-10 pages; handwritten. So, you are getting the highlights. I'm sure if we talk in person you will get a fuller story of everything. Anyway.
-Pic: Paris Train Station-

Day 4 (March 21): We are on our way to Paris, France this morning; via the Eurostar Train. I don't remember how early it was, but we left early to head off for the station. Our train departed a little past 9 I think. I didn't realize it prior to going into the station, but we had to go through UK Customs to get on the train; which means I got an additional stamp on my passport. I was so excited to have that stamp. The train ride out of London and across France to Paris was about 2 hours long; not a bad trip. I did, however, sit behind an English couple that were fighting one minute and flinging curse words, and the next they were lovy dovy; discusting. After arriving in Paris, we took our bus to the hotel; located in the business district. Then, it was off to the city, via the Metro (Subway). We were in and out of so many subways it was terrible. You want to talk about a rush...try getting 48 people on a subway during rush hour-which is all the time on the Paris Metro. When the doors open, you had best be ready to get on or off because they are only open for about 30 seconds. I have many memories of the subways during this trip. They are stories within themselves. But you don't want to hear about subways, this is Paris-the romantic city of light! Back to the tour. We went to the Louvre on our first day in Paris. We only had a little over an hour; very disappointing, but we went. It would take one years to see everything in the Louvre-over 300,000 masterpieces-and we had 1 hour. What does everyone think about when you say Louvre? Yes, the Mona Lisa, so that's where we headed first. She was just as pretty as I remember. I was surprised because we could actually take pictures of her this time and not lose our cameras, so I snapped away being unsuccessful in getting 1 plain shot. After the Louvre we met back together with the entire group for more walking and more subways, touring the city, finally heading to dinner. We ate at Flam's; a type of flat pizza made with goat cheese. After dinner was the best part...time to go to the Eiffel Tower. I didn't get to go up it in 2006, but this time was different. The lines were really long once we got up to the first stop. It was amazing. The city is beautiful from up there and just knowing that I was in/on the Eiffel Tower and not just looking at it-OH! The worst part was going up the next leg of the flight. I really don't get scared of heights, but my knees were litteraly knocking as we were flying up over 900 feet above the city on a needle! But the view, the feeling, the rush of being on the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. After going up the tower we all went on a boat ride on the Seine River; seeing the sights of Paris from the water. This is really one of the best views because alot of the history of the city is located on the banks of the Seine. After the boat ride it was back to the hotel; yes, via the subway.

Day 5 (March 22): Rise and shine on another early day. We started the day with a bus tour of the city. The bus tours usually run about 3 hours with stops at certain places in between. We drove up the Champs Elysees and went around the Arc de Triomphe, drove past Concorde Square, the Louvre, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Opera House, where Princess Diana died and her memorial,
-Pic: Notre Dame Cathedral-
-Pic: The Opera House-
-Pic: Memorial for Princess Diana (Flame) and she was killed in the tunnel beneath this road at the location under the flame-

and so much more. We made a stop at the Trocadero Square where there is a brilliant view of the Eiffel Tower. This was our only place to do any souviner shopping in Paris :(. While we were here mom and I had a chocolate crepe! And, much to my surprise I ran into my tour director from my '06 tour; Pascal. That was so awesome! Plus he is a beautiful Frenchman! He remembered me, but not my name. That's ok because he greated me with the usual European greeting of a hug and a kiss on the cheek. OOlala. The ladies in my group were so shocked! I was just flabbergasted. They couldn't get their cameras out fast enough. Paris is beautiful and I loved being there, but seeing Pascal was really the highlight of being back in Paris-except for going up the Eiffel Tower.
-Pic: Palace of Versailles-

So, back on the bus, but a different bus with a different group. Some of us were staying behind for free time in the city and the rest of us went to Versailles, France (just outside of Paris) to visit the Palace of Versailles. This was the home of King Louie XIV and Marie Antoinette, as well as a few other Louies before the 14th. This is a magnificent place. It is huge! Unfortunately since it was so early in the season there were no flowers blooming in the gardens, but still they were pretty. I had been here before, but we didn't get to see the King's private chambers and all the chandeliers were down for restoration the last time. So, this time all the chandeliers were up in every room as well as the Hall of Mirrors. It was pretty in '06 without them. And, this time with them all up the room just glistened.

-Pic: Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles-

We drove back into the city to meet our guide. We had a bit of free time so we went on a walking tour with our guide. She took us to Notre Dame for a walk through. While we were there I was trying to point out the Hunchback and much to my surprise this voice came from behind and said in english with a fine french accent, "Is she trying to do my job?" I turned around and it was Pascal AGAIN!!! Oh my goodness. The ladies had to get our picture together this time! It was great!

After this walking tour we headed back for the underground, Metro, to meet up with the group for dinner. This was our last night in Paris so after dinner we all called it an early evening; 9:30 instead of the usuall 11pm. We had to pack up and get ready for a long bus ride to Lucerne, Switzerland the next morning; which 5 am was going to come soon.

More tomorrow on my adventures.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment