Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Another year of . . . Fogs in August #1

Good morning bloggers!!
(said the way Ty Pennington opens his Extreme Homemaker Show :)

What a beautiful day it is!  I was up and outside just before 6 AM this morning and it was absolutely gorgeous!  The sun was coming up over the horizon, there were clouds and I just knew the sunrise was going to be a beaut.  And, it did not fail me.  Just as the sun was starting to peak above the horizon the clouds took on a pink hue and blanketed the eastern sky.  Then here came the yellow and orange.  OH!  I could have stood there forever.  But, the work train would be leaving soon so onward I had to go. 


As I was walking out the door to head off to work I noticed something I hadn't seen in a long time.  You know the feeling you get when you've gone all winter with no thunder/lightning storms and then the first one of the season you think, "oh, that's thunder..haven't heard that in a while."  Well, what I was viewing was no different.  In fact, I had to stand there a moment and think real hard what month we were in.  Ok, so what did I see that caught my attention?  What did I see that made me take a step back and soak in the moment?  FOG!  It was so foggy!  It wasn't foggy when I was out at 6 AM, but my goodness how things change in 30 minutes. 


I gazed out across the pasture, the cows were still munching on their hay rolled out to them the night before, and in the stillness I said, "huh, that's fog!" Then I thought for a minute about the meaning of this fog.  I literally was saying, out loud to any critter or farm animal who was listening, "that's fog, it's foggy, isn't there something special about fog this time of year? Wait a minute, it's foggy.  Is it August?  It is August! Fogs in August equal frost in May? No, that's thunder in February frost in May.  Fogs in August predicts the winter snows!  Yes, that's it.  It's the first fog in August, oh my snow!"  hahahahaha


You ask, "Were you really having this conversation, Lindsay?"  Yes, yes I was.  I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that it was foggy and it was August.  I was so excited!  And of course I snapped a picture.  The moment wouldn't be complete without one :)
8.9.11 Fog in August #1
complete with cows munching :)
So, here's to Fog in August #1 2011 . . . . let's see how many more we get :)


Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment