Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Final Count . . . Fogs in August 2011

Well, here it is, the last day of August 2011.  This is also the last day old timers quit counting those fogs in August.  Although statistics don't prove this, old timers used to count (some still do as you can see it was passed to me) the number of fogs received in the month of August.  This was done to predict the number of snows they could possibly receive in the coming winter season.  My grandpa always counted; thus my mom learned to count; thus she passed those old tales on to me :)  It's fun!

Every winter when it starts snowing one will often hear my mom saying, "Well that's one snow down only xx number to go and we're finished!"  hahaha

According to my counting I tallied 5 big thick fogs and 2 days of patchy morning fog.  I think there might be a couple more patchy foggy mornings, but I really couldn't tell if it was actual haze or fog.  So, my calculations aren't exactly accurate.  But it will still be fun counting when the snow starts falling.

One old timer, and my neighbor, has already said all indications are showing we're going to have a long, cold and snowy winter.  I guess we'll wait and see! 

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment