Friday, September 18, 2009

This is becomming a habit

As I sit here and type I am about to fall over asleep. I feel like a zombie who is trying to hold on to their head. I've mentioned in several posts lately that we have cows calving on the farm. There are little 'dots' as I call them everywhere in the pasture by my house; dots are the baby calves. I call them dots because when they are snuggling tight to the ground they look just like a little 'dot' from a distance. I have this thing with my dad. One or both of us never fail to say, "Look at all those little dots!"

Back to the story...Dad keeps an extra close eye on the cows just in case they need help having their babies. Usually they don't, but sometimes we have to get involved with the birthing process. This extra close watch requires many visits to the field where the cows are; and at weird times in the day/night. Dad will check the cows first thing in the mornings-anytime between 6am-8am. He checks them again in the afternoons. Then again in the evenings. Then again anytime between 9pm-10pm. This is when I go. Then, if there is one he thinks might have a baby by morning he'll be back out there anytime between 2am-4am. Sometimes I go during these times too if I'm asleep in my recliner.

We've been watching this one particular cow, #91, for several weeks now. She has been showing signs that she is fixing to calve; bag filling with milk, dilation, etc. We just knew she would have this calf 2 weeks ago. So dad has been regularly checking her everyday at the above times. Needless to say he needs some sleep. He just knew yesterday would be the day because she was off by herself away from the other cows and not feeling good. You can normally tell a cow is going into labor or not feeling good because they won't be chewing their cud-cattle have 4 stomachs and regurgitate their food and chew on it ALL THE TIME! Anyway...after we left Hootin an Hollerin we came home to check #91-around 8pm. We could definitely tell she'd have a calf by morning. Again at 11:30 pm we checked her again; still no calf. So dad says to me, "I guess you know what I'm going to be doing in an hour or so?" I responded with, "Yep, checking on #91." About 1am this morning I woke up to hearing dad coming up the road on the four wheeler. Had no idea what time it was because I had fallen asleep; in my recliner of course. Out the door I go because I just knew she'd have a baby. Get in the field and go to where she'd been standing all evening. Guess what? NO CALF. This was a sure sign that momma needed help. We were both like, "CRAP!"

Here we go again, having to get the cow down the alley and into the corral. We really didn't have much trouble. Accept the occaisional chase of the dog, Tucker. We would loose the cow in the shadow of the four wheeler lights and she'd be coming right at us going after Tucker. But we finally got her headed in the right direction and she never looked back; right into the corral she went.

Dad thought about going to get mom, but he decided to check out how big the calf was first. As usual our flashlight was going dim on us. We got the cow in the runway of the corral and she was really patient. Wouldn't you be if you needed help? We didn't end up going and getting mom this time. I took my usual place of holding the tail back and helping to stretch the back end of the cow; I always make sure to wash the hands very well! Just as the calf was being pulled out the light went dead. Dad kept pulling and I kept tugging on the tail; hard to do when their slick with yucky stuff. Out the big lad came and hit the ground with a thud. We didn't really know if this one was dead or alive because dad felt no life when he was putting the chains around it's ankles. We think we he hit the ground the calf was jolted. I would be. I drug him under the runway fence so we could get him going; sticking hay up his nose to make him sneeze and get the gunk out of the nose and mouth so he can breathe. Sometimes you have to hit their side too.

All looked good, little lad-well a big lad-looked as though he'd be just fine. So, we let momma out of the runway so she could be introduced to her baby. She went to licking and mooing at her new baby. I just love watching that because even though a cow is not saying anything you can almost understand her moos to the baby. When the baby tries to get up her moo changes. It almost sounds like, "Set down young man until I'm finished." It's really a sensational sight all should get to experience once in their life. I just happen to be blessed with seeing it regularly since I live on a farm.

Once again I needed a blackberry so I could record to be able to post and tweet. One day I'll have one. There'll be many more calves born on the Collins Farm and I'm sure the occaisional calf that needs a tug to get into the world. So, don't be surprised to one day see my blog with a calf birthing video.

I hope you all enjoy my farm ramblings. I find that there are so many who don't understand it so I like to talk about it. Like I mentioned earlier; this is definitely something that everyone across the globe needs to experience.

So to wrap up today's long post, sorry about that-lot's going on and gotta make you feel like you're there. These late night calf pullings are becoming a habit. I walked in my house at 2:09 am today after another exciting farm moment. I sure wish these momma who need help would rearrange their birthing schedule! ha ha But, then that wouldn't be nature.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment