Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Today

This is a big day for many across the world. Thousands of children and teenagers everywhere are headed back to school. Some for the very first time, some who are somewhere in the middle, others in their last year before entering the workforce, and others in their last year before college. I was imagining this morning those little ones stepping onto a school bus or entering the halls of their school for the first time. I also thought of those somewhere in the middle and those stepping into the halls or bus for the first time on their last year of high school. There are a few people really close to my heart that fit all those descriptions. I pray for their safety this school year. I pray that they dig deep into their studies and make good grades. I also pray for their parents that they have patience and guidance for their children.

What wonderful memories I have from my school days. The only thing I really remember about Kindergarten is crying on the first day and in my school picture as well as taking paint trays out of people's desks with Chancey Hambelton during nap time. We would take them out of the ones closest to us and put them all in someone else's desk. Yes, we got in trouble! I also remember playing 'London Bridge' near the time out stumps on the playground. These were also the stumps where we dusted the chalk board erasers. I remember fondly being in the classroom by the office one summer day and Jeremy Wages busting a stink bomb in his desk; it smelled of rotten eggs. The stinch filled the entire school. I remember there being a breeze that day and the windows of the room were already opened. The wind took that stinch a sailing. It was awful!!! I remember lipsyncing to 'You Lost that Lovin' Feeling' by the Righteous Brothers with my best friends Aaron Anstine and Beth Volanski while in our Freshman year. We won that talent show and won tickets to see Confederate Railroad at the West Plains Civic Center in 1994. Guess who opened for them? Kenny Chesney!!! My sister got his autograph there before he was famous. I wonder where that is??? I remember walking across that old stage and accepting my diploma; such a fond and proud memory. There were many wonderful as well as sad memories from my school days. Now, today, there are kidos everywhere walking down the halls of their schools making their own memories. Here's to a great 2009-2010 school year.

Also, on this day back in 1972 my wonderful parents said, "I Do!" Happy 37th Wedding Anniversary Mom and Dad! I am still amazed by my parents sometimes. They are the best and most important thing in my life (after God of course) and I couldn't have asked for better. It's kind of ironic I think...my parents were married at the Ball this day in 72...and 37 years later my dad is going to enter that same church house as a pallbearer for his aunt. Peace be with the family today.

So, this is a very important day for many. School begins, celebrations of love, and celebrations of life as one is being put to rest. Hope your August 19th is grand!

Until next time . . .

2 comments:

  1. School memories. Little Benji cried the first day of Kindergarten, his mom pushed him in the class room. He would later steal my yellow bike.

    I had Miss Everet in Kindargarten and she was cool.

    Happy Anniverary to your Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to "mom & dad"..

    It was a great day for Dora..

    ReplyDelete