Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Perseids & Jupiter

Stars & Planets have always been my thing....I just can't get enough of their beauty and remain in awe of God's wonderful works and splendor! God is good all the time; All the time God is good!

The planet Jupiter has been largely visible for several weeks now, but I haven't gotten around to get the telescope out until last night; thanks to my mother. **note** My telescope has been at my mom and dad's how for a while (almost 2 years) to keep it safe while I moved (2 years ago) and I have never picked it up until this week. Just thought I'd share.

So, last night I made myself stay up really late because if I sat down or got comfortable I knew I'd fall; asleep that is. I visited with my parents until 11 pm. I guess if I'm talking I'm not sleeping and neither is anyone else at 11 pm for that matter. Off to the house I went. Got the telescope all set up on the front porch. **note** That's why me and my dad built that front porch so I could have a place to put my telescope on a great evening like last night.

Got the tele all set up and WOW!!...There it was...Jupiter in all it's splendor. Of course it looked no bigger than a the end of a q-tip, but I could see it along with it's moon. It was beautiful. All I could do was start singing "God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, He's so good to me." Plus, as I was viewing Jupiter up close and personal for the first time a lovely meteor from the Perseids meteor shower streaked thru the view of my tele....Now that was amazing.

After my lengthly star gazing I focused my attention on the area of the constellation Casseopeia; the entire area of the overhead sky really. August 12th was the day of the peak time of the Perseid Meteor Shower. The peak is in the hours of midnight to dawn with the best time supposedly around 4 am. I was outside from midnight until about 2 am and say quite a few lovely meteors. Some had large heads with flowing, twinkling tails. Others were short and sweet. One even started on one side of the sky and sailed north until it finally faded. Last night was a perfect night for star gazing too. The weather was absolutely perfect.

Although I didn't make it until 4 am; I did have to get up and go to work-which I'm paying for right now because I feel like I was hit by a Mack and my head feels like it's barely attached to my body. But, the view of God's majesty was absolutely worth it. Maybe next year I'll stay up until 4 am!

It's been awhile since I took a bit of time and just looked at the sky. I could just set there and look and never get bored. I am reminded every time I view the stars, picking out some of the constellations and planets along with the Milky Way Galaxy, of God's great works. He is so awesome. When I view the stars I often wonder how people could not believe in a greater power than ourselves, one who made everything...God. It did not happen in one boom in time. Life and world was made with great craftsmanship, care, skill & love. Just how can people not belive in the one true God; creator of the Universe!!!

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment